LAWRENCE, Kan. – TCU scored seven unanswered runs en route to an 8-2 win over Kansas Sunday afternoon at Hoglund Park. With sweep, TCU moves atop the Big 12 standings and runs its winning streak to four games. Kurtis Byrne and Brayden Taylor homered in the win for the Horned Frogs.
Kansas took an early 1-0 lead on a two out home run, but the Horned Frogs wasted little time tying the game in the second. Kurtis Byrne was hit by a pitch leading off the inning. After moving to third on a Gray Rodgers base knock, he scored on a wild pitch.
Two TCU errors gifted Kansas a 2-1 lead, but again, the Frogs responded in the following inning with runs of their own. Tommy Sacco’s two out double drove in two to give the Frogs a 3-2 lead.
Byrne extended the lead with a two out home run in the fourth. Luke Boyers followed with a base hit, stole second and moved to third on an error. He scored easily on a Rodgers base hit for a 5-2 lead.
Brayden Taylor launched his 10th home run of the season, a three run shot, in the sixth to make it an 8-2 ballgame.
The combination of Augie Mihlbauer (2-0), Austin Krob, Luke Savage and Garrett Wright out of the bullpen kept the Jayhawks off the board. Mihlbauer tossed 2 2/3 innings with two walks and two strikeouts to get the win in relief. Riley Cornelio started and allowed two runs (one earned) on four hits, walked two and struck out three in 4 1/3 innings.
Stat of the Game:
4 – TCU scored four of its eight runs with two outs.
- TCU recorded double-digit hits (11) for the 20thtime this year.
- TCU homered in a game for the 28thtime this season.
- TCU hit multiple home in game for the 15thtime this year.
- TCU stole multiple bases (6) for the 20thtime this year.
- TCU outhit its opponent for the 26thtime this year.
- TCU turned three double plays in the game.
- Tommy Sacco has hit safely in nine straight games and reached safely in 12 straight.
- Sacco collected his 23rdmulti-hit game of the season and the 36thof his career.
- Sacco recorded his 11thmulti-RBI game of the year and the 21stof his career.
- Brayden Taylor hit his 10thhome run of the season and the 22ndof his career.
- Taylor tallied his 17thmulti-hit game of the year and the 39thof his career.
- Taylor tallied his 10th multi-RBI game of the year and the 24thof his career.
- Kurtis Byrne hit his fourth home run of the season and the fifth of his career.
- Byrne tallied his 12thmulti-hit game of the season and the 13thof his career.
- Luke Boyers stretched his hitting streak to seven games and his reached base streak to 20.
- Boyers posted his 16thmulti-hit game of the season and the 27thof his career.
- Rodgers posted his 13thmulti-hit game of the season and the 34thof his career.
With the win, TCU improves to 32-18 overall and 16-8 in Big 12 play. The Horned Frogs will close out the regular season with a four game non-conference homestand. First up is a Tuesday night contest against Tarleton State slated for a 6 p.m. start. The contest will be televised on Big 12 Now on ESPN+.