SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – TCU rallied for a 5-3 victory over San Diego State at the MLB4 Tournament. The Horned Frogs used a three run ninth inning to secure the first win for new head coach Kirk Saarloos. David Bishop went 2-for-4 with two RBIs, including the game-winner in his collegiate debut.
TCU opened the scoring with a two out run in the first. Brayden Taylor doubled and scored on a first pitch base knock off the bat of David Bishop.
Austin Krob wiggled out of a second inning jam, leaving the bases loaded with as Elijah Nunez tracked down a long fly ball to left center. Krob’s seventh and final strikeout of the night brought to a close the fourth with the tying run on third.
Another two out run, this one coming in the sixth, doubled TCU’s lead to 2-0. Gray Rodgers led off the frame with a base hit and scored on a Kurtis Byrne double.
San Diego State took advantage of a pair of defensive miscues in the sixth and scored three times to take a 3-2 lead.
The Aztecs carried the one-run lead into the ninth but a lead-off walk to Logan Maxwell set the stage for the comeback. Nunez followed with a base knock to put two on with nobody out. Taylor worked a full count before delivering a game-tying double to right. Bishop jumped on the first pitch and knocked in the go-ahead run. A bases-loaded wild pitch gave the Frogs an insurance run.
River Ridings came on in the ninth and shut the door for the save. Krob started and tossed four scoreless innings. He allowed four hits, a walk and struck out seven in the no-decision. Augie Mihlbauer allowed an unearned run and struck out two in an inning of work. Marcelo Perez (1-0) retired all six batters he faced, fanning two.
Stat of the Game:
9 – TCU sent nine men to the plate in the ninth and scored three times to rally for the win.
- TCU improved to 6-4 in season openers with Kirk Saarloos on staff.
- TCU scored a first inning run for the first time this year.
- TCU outhit San Diego State 8-6.
- TCU drew nine walks and was hit twice in the game.
- The TCU pitching staff recorded 13 strikeouts in the game.
- David Bishop and Logan Maxwell made their collegiate debuts in the starting lineup.
- Michael Petrie made his TCU debut.
- Brayden Taylor tallied his first multi-hit game of the season and the 24thof his career.
- David Bishop recorded his first career multi-hit game and first career multi-RBI contest.
- Gray Rodgers has now reached base safely in his last 12 games played.
- River Ridings collected his second career save.
With the win, TCU improves to 1-0 on the season. The Horned Frogs return to the field Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m. (CT) to take on Cal (1-0). The game will be available on GoFrogs.com or on Sirius XM channel 84.