FORT WORTH – TCU stretched its winning streak to a season-long six games with a 10-3 win over Santa Clara Friday night at Lupton Stadium. Marcelo Perez tossed six shutout innings and Porter Brown homered and drove in four to lead the Horned Frogs.
Marcelo Perez (6-2) pitched six scoreless frames to pick up the win. He never faced more than four batters in an inning and had just five total base runners in his time on the mound. Perez finished his outing, allowing four hits, one walk and striking out four. Drew Hill, Tommy Vail and Connor Oliver each tossed an inning of relief in the win.
The offense provided lots of support early in the game, building a 4-0 lead after two innings. Bobby Goodloe’s two out double in the first brought home Elijah Nunez for a 1-0 lead. Three more runs crossed the plate in the second highlighted by a two out, two run triple off the bat of Brayden Taylor.
Back-to-back doubles from Gray Rodgers and Porter Brown to open the fourth pushed the lead to 5-0. A Taylor sacrifice drove in Brown for a 6-0 lead.
Brown’s three run home run in the fifth extended the advantage to 9-0 and a two out base hit from Kurtis Byrne in the sixth made it a 10-0 ballgame.
Santa Clara broke up the shutout with two runs on four hits in the seventh. The Broncos picked up its final run in the ninth to account for the final score.
Stat of the Game:
100 – Elijah Nunez and Luke Boyer each recorded their 100th career hit in the game.
- TCU scored seven of its 10 runs with two outs.
- TCU homered in a game for the 29thtime this season.
- TCU scored a first-inning run for the 24thtime this year.
- TCU scored double-digit runs for the 16thtime this season.
- TCU played errorless baseball for the 26thtime this year.
- TCU registered double-digit hits (11) for the 20thtime this year.
- TCU stole multiple bases (2) for the 22ndtime this year.
- Elijah Nunez has reached safely in 10 straight games.
- Tommy Sacco has hit safely in 11 straight games and reached safely in 14 straight.
- Brayden Taylor and Gray Rodgers have reached safely in seven straight.
- Taylor recorded his 11thmulti-RBI game of the year and the 25thof his career.
- Kurtis Byrne notched his 14thmulti-hit game of the season and the 15thof his career.
- Luke Boyers stretched his hitting streak to nine games and his reached base streak to 22.
- Gray Rodgers posted his 14thmulti-hit game of the year and the 36thof his career.
- Porter Brown hit his fourth home run of the season and the eighth of his career.
- Brown collected his fifth multi-hit game of the season and thee 25thof his career.
- Brown posted his third multi-RBI game of the year and the 14thof his career.
With the win, TCU improves to 34-18 overall. The series finale is set for Saturday. First pitch is slated for Noon. Riley Cornelio will get the start for the Horned Frogs. The contest will be televised on Big 12 Now on ESPN+.