FORT WORTH – A four spot in the first inning for Oklahoma proved to be the difference as TCU dropped the rubber match by a 5-1 score Sunday afternoon at Lupton Stadium. Tommy Sacco drove in the lone run for the Horned Frogs.
A two out walk opened the door for Oklahoma in the first. Six straight Sooners reached as they built a 4-0 lead before the final out was recorded.
TCU had base runners in all but three innings but cashed in only once. Tommy Sacco’s two-out double in the fifth drove in Elijah Nunez to make it a 4-1 game.
Oklahoma picked up a big insurance run in the eighth as it took advantage of a lead-off walk. Jackson Nicklaus’ one out double restored Oklahoma’s four-run lead, 5-1.
Caleb Bolden (4-1) took the loss after allowing four runs on four hits in four innings of work. He fanned seven and walked four. Luke Savage turned in 2 1/3 scoreless innings with three strikeouts. Garrett Wright surrendered a run on a hit, walked one and struck out two. Augie Mihlbauer worked a scoreless inning and Tommy Vail retired the lone batter he face.
Stat of the Game:
4 – All four of Oklahoma’s first inning runs were scored with two outs in the frame. The first two batters of the inning had been retired.
- TCU stole multiple bases (3) for the 17thtime this year.
- TCU was outhit by its opponent for the 18thtime this year.
- TCU allowed a first inning run. For the 18thtime this season.
- TCU fanned double-digit batters for the 18thtime this season.
- Elijah Nunez stole multiple bases in a game for the sixth time this season and the eighth time in his career.
- Tommy Sacco has reached safely in 17 straight games.
- Luke Boyers stretched his reached base streak to 16 games.
- Porter Brown collected his third multi-hit game of the year and the 23rdof his career.
With the loss, TCU falls to 28-18 overall and 13-8 in Big 12 play. The Horned Frogs will wrap up a four game homestand Tuesday night against Incarnate Word. Game time is set for 6 p.m. The contest will be televised on Big 12 Now on ESPN+.