ARLINGTON, Texas — No. 17 TCU took an early lead and never looked back en route to an 8-3 win over Nebraska Saturday afternoon at Globe Life Field. Luke Boyers homered and Elijah Nunez drove in four in helping the Horned Frogs secure the series victory.
A lead-off walk to Elijah Nunez in the first was followed by a long home run off the bat of Luke Boyers as TCU opened up an early 2-0 lead.
TCU struck for a trio of runs with two outs in the third. Reed Spenrath ripped a two out double down the right field line to drive in Gray Rodgers for a 3-0 lead. Back-to-back walks to Kurtis Byrne and Logan Maxwell loaded the bases. Elijah Nunez lined a two-run single up the middle to make it a 5-0 contest.
Nebraska answered with a two run home run in the top of the fourth to pull within three, 5-2.
TCU pushed the advantage to four with another two out run in the sixth. Rodgers doubled, driving home David Bishop with TCU’s sixth run of the game.
A solo home run in the top of the seventh pulled the Cornhuskers back within three. With a runner on second and two outs, Caleb Bolden came on to close out the inning. He retired the final seven hitters in the game for the save.
TCU’s final two runs in the game came on another bases-loaded single off the bat of Nunez in the seventh.
Riley Cornelio (1-0) turned in another outstanding start. He allowed two runs on three hits, did not walk a batter and struck out a career-high seven.
Stat of the Game:
5 – TCU has played five straight errorless games. It matches the longest streak since the Frogs put together a five game streak April 11-17, 2021.
- TCU has won four straight games.
- TCU improved to 3-2 all-time at Globe Life Park.
- TCU stolen multiple bases in a game for the third time this season.
- TCU played errorless baseball for the fifth straight game.
- TCU scored a first inning run for the fifth time this season.
- The TCU pitching staff registered double-digit strikeouts (12) for the fifth time this season.
- No. 17 TCU pitchers did not issue a walk in the contest, the first time since May 22, 2022.
- Elijah Nunez tallied his first multi-hit game of the season and the 11thof his career.
- Nunez posted his first multi-hit game of the year and the sixth of his career.
- Luke Boyers recorded his first multi-RBI game of the season and the seventh of his career.
- Boyers hit his second home run of the season.
- Brayden Taylor has reached safely in 15 straight games dating back to last season.
- David Bishop has reached safely in all six games.
- Gray Rodgers has now reached base safely in his last 17 games played.
- Rodgers posted his first multi-hit game of the season and the 23rdof his career.
- Tommy Sacco has reached safely in all six games this season.
- Logan Maxwell tallied his first career hit and has reached safely in all five games.
- Caleb Bolden tallied his first career save.
With the win, No. 17 TCU improves to 5-1 on the season. The Horned Frogs will go for the series sweep Sunday afternoon at Globe Life Field. Game time is set for 1 p.m. Brett Walker will get the ball in the series finale. The contest will be televised on FloSports.TV.