FORT WORTH — Tommy Sacco’s home run and David Bishop’s three run double was all No. 17 TCU needed in a 4-1 win over Nebraska Friday night at Globe Life Field. Austin Krob pitched six shutout innings and River Ridings picked up the final four outs for his second save of the season.
Tommy Sacco’s one out home run in the third inning got the Horned Frogs on the board.
Three innings later, the Frogs picked up some insurance runs. Garrison Berkley drew a walk and moved to second on Sacco’s second hit of the game. With two outs and two in scoring position, the Cornhuskers elected to intentionally walk Brayden Taylor. Bishop made the decision hurt, lining a double over the right fielder’s head for a 4-0 lead.
On the mound, Frog pitchers had to work through some jams to keep Nebraska off the scoreboards. Nebraska had the lead-off batter on in six of nine innings and only scored once. Frog pitchers ultimately stranded 10 base runners.
The Cornhuskers lone run came in the seventh after the first three batters reached. With the tying run at the plate and nobody out, the combination of Luke Savage and Augie Mihlbauer struck out three straight to end the inning.
Nebraska loaded the bases with two outs in the eight, but River Ridings came on to slam the door, striking out three of the five batters he faced to pick up save No. 2 on the year.
Austin Krob (1-0) tallied his first win of the season, tossing six shutout innings. He allowed just two hits, walked three and struck out six.
Stat of the Game:
10 – Austin Krob threw six shutout innings in his second start of the season. He has yet to surrender a run in 10 innings pitched this season.
- TCU has won three straight games.
- TCU improved to 2-2 all-time at Globe Life Park.
- TCU played errorless baseball for the fourth straight game.
- TCU turned two double plays in the contest.
- The TCU pitching staff registered double-digit strikeouts (13) for the fourth time this season.
- Tommy Sacco has hit safely in all five games this season.
- Sacco tallied his third multi-hit game of the season and the 16thof his career.
- Sacco hit his first home run of the season and the third of his career.
- Brayden Taylor has reached safely in 14 straight games dating back to last season.
- David Bishop posted his third career multi-hit game and his third career multi-RBI game.
- Gray Rodgers has now reached base safely in his last 16 games played.
- River Ridings tallied his third career save.
With the win, TCU improves to 4-1 on the season. The Horned Frogs and the Huskers series at Globe Life Field continues Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m. The game will be televised on FloSports.TV.