FORT WORTH — No. 15 TCU scored six runs in the first three innings and withstood an Oklahoma State rally to even the series with a 6-4 victory over the No. 3 Cowboys Saturday afternoon at O’Brate Stadium. Tommy Sacco and Luke Boyers homered for the Horned Frogs.
TCU built a 6-1 lead over the first three innings of play. Tommy Sacco got the offense going, hooking his seventh home run of the season just inside the left field foul pole in the first.
After Oklahoma State tied the game in the bottom of the first, TCU responded with a two spot in the second. Kurtis Byrne led off the inning with a base hit and moved to third on a Gray Rodgers double. Sam Thompson grounded out to give the Frogs the lead and Elijah Nunez extended the lead with a two-out single.
Three more runs crossed the plate courtesy of a Luke Boyers blast to straightaway center in the third.
From there, the Frogs navigated base runners in each of the final six innings to hold on for the win. The Cowboys picked a solo run in the fourth and a pair of unearned tallies in the sixth to pull within two, 6-4.
OSU had the tying runs on base in the seventh and eighth, but Luke Savage was able to wiggle off the hook each time. A double play in the eighth with two on and nobody out was key after the first two reached in the inning. In the ninth, a one-out triple was left stranded as River Ridings and Garrett Wright picked up back-to-back strikeouts to end the game.
Marcelo Perez (4-1) picked up the win after tossing 5 1/3 innings. He allowed four runs (two earned) on four hits, walked one and struck out four.
Stats of the Game:
20 – Elijah Nunez swiped his 20th bag of the season. He is the first Horned Frog since Coby Boulware (24) in 2018 to reach the 20 steal plateau.
- TCU homered in a game for the 21st time this season.
- TCU has hit multiple home runs in a game for the ninth time this season.
- TCU scored a first inning run for the 18thtime this season.
- TCU stole multiple bases in a game for the 14thtime this season.
- The bullpen tossed 3 2/3 scoreless innings.
- Elijah Nunez picked up his 11thmulti-hit game of the year and the 21stof his career.
- Tommy Sacco hit his seventh home run of the season and the ninth of his career.
- Sacco collected his 18thmulti-hit game of the year and the 31stof his career.
- Luke Boyers stretched his hitting streak to nine games.
- Boyers hit his fourth home run of the season and the fifth of his career.
- Boyers tallied his seventh multi-RBI game of the year and the 13thof his career.
- Garrett Wright notched his first save of the season and the second of his career.
With the win, TCU improves to 26-13 overall and 11-6 in Big 12 play. The rubber match of the series is set for Sunday afternoon at 1. Brett Walker will take the mound for the Horned Frogs. The contest will be streamed on OkState.com.