WACO, Texas — Baylor baseball (0-3) dropped its series finale to Maryland (3-0) Sunday afternoon at Baylor Ballpark, 8-4.
The Terrapins scored runs in five different innings and hit four home runs to complete the weekend sweep.
Senior RHP Jake Jackson (0-1) turned in a quality start for the Bears, throwing five innings while allowing three earned runs on five hits. He added seven strikeouts in his Baylor debut.
The Bears got on the board first as Tre Richardson scored on a wild pitch in the bottom of the first, but the Terps were quick to respond by posting two runs in the top of the second off a solo home run and the first of BU’s four fielding errors on the day.
Baylor evened the tally in the bottom of the third thanks to a RBI groundout from Richardson that scored Esteban Cardoza-Oquendo, but UMD was next to strike in the top of the fifth with a sacrifice fly and another solo home run.
BU cut the lead to 5-4 in the bottom of the frame following Richardson’s second RBI of the day, this time a sharply hit single, but that would be it for the Baylor offense until the bottom of the ninth.
Maryland added runs in each of the next three innings to extend its lead to 8-3. In the final frame, Antonio Valdez worked a walk and moved around to third on Cody Grebeck’s first-career hit, then later scored on a Kobe Andrade sacrifice fly.
That would be all as UMD reliever Nick Lorusso finished off Jason Savacool’s (1-0) strong effort of eight innings in which he scattered seven hits and allowed three runs with six punchouts.
• Baylor falls to 0-3 all-time against Maryland.
• This is the first 0-3 start to a season for Baylor since 2013 when the Bears were swept at UC Irvine to begin the year.
• The BU pitching staff racked up 12 strikeouts for its second game of the season with double-digit K’s.
• Senior RHP Jake Jackson made his Baylor debut and turned in a quality start with five innings pitched, three earned runs on five hits and seven strikeouts.
• Sophomore INF Tre Richardson notched his first multi-hit game of the season.
• Sophomore RHP Will Rigney made his first appearance since March 23, 2021 and picked up a career-high four strikeouts.
• Freshman INF Cody Grebeck made his collegiate debut with a pinch-hit single in the ninth inning.
• Junior INF Jack Pineda extended his hit streak to six games, dating back to last season.
• Sophomore LHP/OF Kobe Andrade made his first-career start in left field.
The Bears (0-3) return to Baylor Ballpark for a midweek clash against Houston Baptist (0-3) on Tuesday, Feb. 22, at 6:30 p.m. CT.
For the latest news on the Baylor baseball team all season long, follow its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.