HUGHES SPRINGS, Texas — The Hughes Springs Mustangs outlasted the Atlanta Rabbits 32-29 Friday night at Rabbit Stadium.
The Mustangs built an 11-point lead, and the Rabbs ran out of time to surmount it. The loss is the first in district play for Coach Matt McClure’s team.
Kade Wood produced 13-of-24 for 149 yards and two touchdowns with an interception for the Rabbs’ passing game. Terune Neal caught four passes for 73 yards, J.J. Fields had three receptions for 48 yards and two touchdowns.
Dra Nelson led the Atlanta rushing attack with 18 carries for 118 yards and a touchdown. Caleb Hamilton added nine carries for 78 yards.
Atlanta falls to 4-3 on the season with a 2-1 record in district play. The Rabbs go on the road next Friday to Mount Vernon to take on Art Briles and his squad.
The Mustangs improve to 6-1 on the season with a 2-1 record in district play. Hughes Springs goes home to host the Hooks Hornets next week.
– 9:40—7-0—Atlanta- 8 yd TD run by Caleb Hamilton—PAT good
– 9:27—7-7—Hughes Springs-Collin Cook 90 yd kick off return—PAT good
– 6:54—14-7—Atlanta- 9 yd TD pass Kade Wood to JJ Fields—PAT good
– 1:48—14-15—Hughes Springs-2 yd TD run Trayvon Kennedy— 2 point try good
– 10:13—21-15——Atlanta- 31 yd TD pass Kade Wood to JJ Fields- PAT good
– 6:06—21-18—Hughes Springs-Collin Cook 31 yd Field Goal
– 5:16—21-25—Hughes Springs- 1 yd TD run by Tyson Daigle-PAT good
– 3:42—21-32—Hughes Springs- 4 yd TD run by Trayvon Kennedy—PAT good
– 2:20—29-32—Atlanta- 4 yd TD run Dra Nelson- 2 point try good