ARLINGTON, Texas — No. 17 TCU held on for a 5-3 win over Nebraska at Globe Life Field on Sunday afternoon. The victory was the fifth in a row for the Horned Frogs. Brett Walker tossed seven innings and Gray Rodgers drove in two to help the Frogs complete the sweep.
TCU grabbed a 1-0 lead in the first on a David Bishop RBI-single, but for the first time in the series, Nebraska was able to tie the game. The Cornhusker run came courtesy of a lead-off double in the third that scored on a one-out single.
The Frogs wasted little time regaining the lead in the bottom of the inning. Brayden Taylor worked a walk and scored on a two-out double off the bat of Gray Rodgers for a 2-1 lead.
Three more runs crossed the plate in the fifth as the lead grew to four, 5-1. Elijah Nunez opened the inning with a triple and scored on a Luke Boyers base hit. Taylor followed with a double down the right field line and eventually scored on a Rodgers ground out.
Nebraska scored single runs in the seventh and eighth to make it a 5-3 ballgame. In the ninth, the first two Cornhuskers reached and a two out single loaded the bases. River Ridings got a grounder to third and Taylor nipped the runner at first for the final out of the contest.
Brett Walker (2-0) allowed two runs on six hits over seven innings. He didn’t walk a batter and struck out six. Marcelo Perez allowed an unearned run on one hit and struck out one in his lone inning of work.
Stat of the Game:
8 – Nebraska stranded eight runners in the game, including leaving the bases loaded in the ninth inning.
- TCU has won five straight games.
- TCU improved to 4-2 all-time at Globe Life Park.
- TCU scored a first inning run for the sixth time this season.
- TCU was outhit for the first time this season.
- TCU pitchers did not issue a walk for the second straight game.
- Elijah Nunez tallied his second multi-hit game of the season and the 12th of his career.
- Brayden Taylor has reached safely in 16 straight games dating back to last season.
- David Bishop has reached safely in all seven games.
- Gray Rodgers has now reached base safely in his last 18 games played.
- Rodgers posted his first multi-RBI game of the season and the 15thof his career.
- Tommy Sacco has reached safely in all seven games this season.
- River Ridings recorded his fourth career save.
With the win, TCU improves to 6-1 on the season. The Horned Frogs will make a brief stop at home to host UT Arlington Tuesday night. First pitch is set for 6 p.m.